passing away of the professor
my dad called me early this evening, while i was still at work and told me that my grandfather, who has been in the hospital for the past few years, passed away. my dad said i may have to go to taiwan for the funeral if it's okay with my work. i'm sad, but i didn't cry. i don't know if it's because i'm insensitive or because i didn't know him that well. i knew he was a great man. he was a professor of agricultural engineering at taida, taiwan's most prestigious university. sometimes, i thought my grandfather had more in common with me that my dad has with me. my grandfather also was a martial artist, a kendo practitioner. my grandfather appreciates the study of common folklore like i do. my grandfather may be the closest person in my life to have now passed away.
3 Comments:
Ditto Topher's comment. Deb and I will pray y'all as well.
I remember when my yeye, whom I had only met once before, passed away when I was in junior high/high school. My dad was pretty much impassive about it and didn't really open up at all. To this day, I still don't know how my dad took his father's death, which left him an orphan, since my nainai had previously passed away. You're fortunate to have had a certain kinship with your grandfather, and it sounds like the funeral in Taiwan may be a good opportunity to get to know your dad -- and your extended family -- better.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Post a Comment
<< Home